Choosing a Fragrance: Tips for Men
Fragrance might be undiscovered territory for a lot of men. However, any man who wears a scent can use it as an important tool when it comes to how he presents himself and is perceived. Experts say that scent can be more important than you realise when it comes to telling people who you are. But what scent should you wear, and how do you choose the right fragrance for men?
Types of Perfume
Whether you are buying a scent for yourself such as escentric molecules or getting it as a gift for a guy in your life, there are different types of perfume to choose from. Ultimately, all of these types are genderless and can be for either women or men. The names refer to the concentration level of the fragrance.
- How Fragrances Work Eau de Cologne: 2-5% fragrance. This is often a type of perfume that has been marketed to men, and cologne has become a generic term used to refer to men’s fragrances over time.
- Eau Fraiche: Little more than scented water with 1-3% fragrance, it’s quite rare to find.
- Eau de Toilette: A light spray with 5-15% fragrance, the perfume extract is dissolved in alcohol. The scent will only last a couple of hours.
- Eau de Parfum: Both women’s and men’s products with 15-20% fragrance. It lasts between five and eight hours and is a popular choice.
- Parfum: The highest concentration with 20-30% fragrance, all you need is a dab to smell amazing all day.
Fragrances aren’t just one single smell. Some scents are designed to evolve more than others. This is why when buying, you shouldn’t just spray it onto some paper and sniff it once before buying. It can be hard to judge a fragrance by its first impression, so give it some time before you decide. The base note, which is the part of the fragrance that clings to your skin the longest, will usually develop last.
Shopping for a Fragrance
If you can, actually wear the fragrance for a while by spritzing a tester on your wrist or elbows and walking around for a while to get a good feel for the scent. Since scents react slightly differently for each person depending on your unique body chemistry, it’s important to bear in mind that just because a certain fragrance smells good on somebody else, it doesn’t always mean it’s going to smell good on you too.
Finally, once you’ve decided on some fragrances that suit you well, the next step is to think about how much you want to spend. As with many grooming products, you get what you pay for, and a more expensive, high-quality fragrance might be worth investing in as you’ll only need to use a little bit at a time and it will last. That being said, you can find plenty of bargains and budget deals, so it’s worth shopping around before you commit to buying.
Fragrance for men can be confusing at times with lots of options to choose from. Keep this guide in mind when it comes to finding the perfect one for you.